Sunday, January 31, 2010

She's here!

The much anticipated Uri finally arrived a few days ago. She came well protected against injury with what my husband fondly calls her accident victim head device. Even though I have admired BJD's for years, I never thought I would be able to own one. But Christmas money went a long way towards bringing Uri home to live with us.
What is a BJD?
BJD stands for Ball-Joint Doll. Ball-joint dolls have articulated ball and joint sockets which means they can be posed in very life-like attitudes. They are cast from a hard, dense plastic (resin) and can be customized with painting and changing their eyes, hair, and clothing. These dolls are mostly produced in South Korea and Japan, but China has also entered the BJD market.

Uri is a Custom House Ange Ai BJD. She is about 25 cm or 10 in.
Right now she has lovely blues eyes, but I'd like to switch to brown and a black wig, in the hopes of making her appearance more Chinese. You might have noticed from the pictures that Uri lost an eyelash some time between box opening and photo shoot. Amazingly my husband spotted it on our blue carpet. I guess my first task will be learning to attach eyelashes.

I have dressed Uri in a pink bandanna à la Hitty Preble* until I can buy or make her some clothes. She is truly a delight.
*Hitty Her First Hundred Years (Chapter 8 - "In Which I Am Lost in India") by Rachel Field, lovely illustrations By Dorothy Lathrop

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, she's actually beautiful in her *raw* form. I would not understand your joy at this until a couple of years ago my 36-yr. old daughter got into Blythe dolls. She named them, customized them, even sent one to Los Angeles for a photo session. I got to know these little doll gals as my *grandchildren*. Enjoy your new *toy*. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know... I know... I some times wonder if it's the girl inside me, or the lack of daughters, or the being past having babies season of my life... yet onward I tumble with fascination for all things sweet and tiny and feminine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph,

    I cannot find your e-mail address in your blog profile, so I have to let you know this by a comment:

    Steph, you have won one of my giveaways in the OWOH blogathon, Please email me asap your name and address

    Congratulations!
    Smiles from the Netherlands XXX

    geni
    (look in my profile to find my e-mail address)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They help me feel that I am some how connected out here in Blogland and not just writing to the air.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails