Thursday, April 29, 2010

Orion



I have always loved Orion the Hunter. Because it seems like no matter where I am in the world, I can look up into the night sky and find him there, and this gives me comfort. To be outside on a lonely dark verdant mountaintop and look up in to a diamond flecked velvet sky fills my heart with wonder and awe. But the ocean at night is my favorite...

Barefoot, she padded through the cold, soft sand. It gave way and shifted under her feet. Her plain knit skirt fell just to her knees. The sea oats brushed against her bare legs, but she didn’t notice. She pulled her sweater closer around her body. The blowing wind and crashing waves flooded her ears. There was nothing else. As the path ended the sand spread out before her. A nearby lamppost cast a pale beige ring on the beach. The ocean was loud, but dark before her. And the stars glistened endlessly across the unending backdrop of black sky. She walked past the circle of light, straight to the waves. The feel of the sand became more wet and mixed with the texture of crushed shell. The smell was strong – sweet and tangy. Her feet touched the receding waves. They were warm. Then the next wave rushed and foamed around her ankles. She was knee deep now. (excerpted from an old story I started and never finished)

I also need to confess that I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately while attempting to keep up with all the Alphabe-Thursday posts. And having been out of town last week, I am so way behind. It's not the posts - each one is so unique (creative; at times funny, thoughtful, or even tender) and often beautiful. It's my poor organization and time management. So I will try to do better. To find these awesome original posts click here. Alphabe-Thursday is hosted by the ever encouraging Jenny Matlock at ... off on my tangent...


Orion constellation image by s.thorton

17 comments:

  1. That excerpt from the story sounds like it should be finished. I want to know what happens LOL. Just take it easy. If I remember I think we can get two missing assignments before getting into trouble ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that was beautifully written and very descriptive. I hope you'll finish it one day soon.

    I'll be here whenever you're updating your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story is very interesting, why didn't you finish it I wonder? It reminded me a little of Anita Shreve.
    Keeping up with all the blogs is very difficult isn't it, I try and read them all but don't always have the time to leave a comment. Jenny's new system is working much better for me this week.
    ~Maggie~

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i wish you would finish the story and not worry
    about the alphabet thing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the orion constellation too - it's an easy one to spot :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that is so cool that you can find your comfort in the sky above ... and i understand the overwhelmed bit ... i feel a bit that way myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I see that you are not only an artist...you can also write! I am telling you that I was ready for this story and upset when you didn't continue! I thought you were quoting some great work of literature (you were)! You need to finish it! By the way, if I haven't told you before, I love your no whining picture! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orion is one of the few I recognize in the sky. It is fun to watch for him all over the country when I travel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a lovely, lovely post.

    I think you need to resume your story. It is lovely.

    Thanks for this beautiful and calm stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's Letter "O"!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  10. MM I know what ya mean I cant blame Menopause on my wait have had no bits since I was 38. I just dont know moederation

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to echo everyone's sentiment and tell you that this was a lovely piece of writing. I hope you do finish it someday. And that your blogging buddies get to read it first! It is hard to visit all the great posts, sometimes I don't finish until the next week :) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am also a star gazer, My favorite spots are when we camp and there are no other lights to steal the splendor away. The stars are spectacular then, and I just lie there by the campfire and stare up, for hours. And please, finish that story! I want to know more about her, and I love your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The picture is very calming and I think you should finish the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Jenny. You need to finish your story. The picture you painted with your words is lovely, and leaves us curious and waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a wonderful post Steph...you have such a nice blog site...I so appreciate your visits and nice comments about mine...O, to be involved in Alphabe-Thursday is Oh so special...Peace to you...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live in a dark skies area, so the star gazing is wonderful..
    You should finish your story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love the stars too and i can always find orion and the dippers, it seems.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They help me feel that I am some how connected out here in Blogland and not just writing to the air.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails