Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I'm not sure if you can relate...

...But some times I feel this pressing urge to seek out and bring home some lovely or unique object - an unclaimed treasure yet to be known by others. Genetics are a probable culprit, because my mother is a great lover of beauty and from a young age included me on her antiquing adventures.

This compulsion is not limited to "things," either (though it usually manifests this way). I find it "necessary" to clean or redecorate our home in some attractive or beautiful way. Or feel anxious to get outside on a gorgeous spring day and explore and take photos. I may try to draw or write something heartfelt or romantic. If I was more skilled and visionary like many of you; I think I would sit and create for hours with a variety of materials: paper, cloth, lace, and beads....

As a young girl, I loved to get lost in the fantasy worlds I found in storybooks and then also within my self-constructed realms of make-believe. There is a bitter-sweetness to this impression which I can only describe as a quiet, gnawing sadness or feeling of homesickness.

Some times I wonder if it is more of a desire to runaway or escape, but not from any particularly bad thing here. More from daily life burdens and expectations or disappointments with myself and in to a more child-like, fairytale, carefree state.

The writer CS Lewis, mentions a similar yearning several times in his works....

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing — to reach the Mountain, to find the place where all the beauty came from — my country, the place where I ought to have been born. Do you think it all meant nothing, all the longing? The longing for home? For indeed it now feels not like going, but like going back.
C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold


I also love this quote from The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander,

"There is much to be known," said Adaon, "and above all much to be loved, be it the turn of the seasons or the shape of a river pebble. Indeed, the more we find to love, the more we add to the measure of our hearts."

L is for Longing.

I am joining Jenny Matlock ... off on her tangent... for Alphabe-Thursday. Please take a look at the other L posts and join in here.

Pebbles by nickellis74

Jenny Matlock

31 comments:

  1. I love those quotes and what you wrote, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe St. Augustine said "our hearts are restless until we rest in Thee". Lovely L post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always off in my own little world. Dolls are my therapy and when I'm longing to be someplace else I join them in their little world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis is great! I have a friend who collects a lot from the beach, in fact when she moves which she does often (husbands job) you should see her shells, stones, sharks teeth....the movers just about die, she has buckets and buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a longing too sometimes but can't figure out for what. I think maybe a lot of people feel like that especially when stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post! I love the word longing, it reminds us to think of things we love and want to continue to explore in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post has really hit home with me ... I completely relate to it ... especially the second quote by C.S. Lewis ... you do write beautifully ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am longing to pass my things on to others. We have been blessed with too much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post and I love the quotes you selected.

    I, myself, play with imaginary friends. Don't tell my kids. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. You gals make me smile and fill my heart with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We should have lunch! You bring a bag of your treasures and I'll bring mine...and we can take turns telling their stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suppose we all have a longing for something. When I was a little girl, I would wish that I was Laura Ingalls Wilder, crossing the prairie in a covered wagon. Now that I am older, even though I am grateful for medical advances and comforts of home, I still long for that simpler life and the wide open spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can totally relate. It's a gift to be able to enjoy the beauty in our lives..you're blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post about longing. I think we can all relate to longing. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  15. your are a beautiful writer thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a wonderful L post.. Have a great day...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great post. I am always longing for peace in myself.........Sometimes it's there and often I feel stressed.... and more....

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an absolutely Lovely L post.

    I know this feeling you write about. It is longing, isn't it?

    I think, for me, sometimes it is a way I deal with all the bad stuff I've had in my life.

    It is a way I can try and control my own environment and create the peace and beauty that I couldn't find for many years!

    Thank you for sharing this.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am just the opposite. I take great satisfaction in throwing things out. In being as streamlined as possible....except when it comes to books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was wonderful. Sometimes I wish I was born in a different time. I long for a time machine, I guess. To travel to a different era. Maybe that's why I collect antiques and love history so much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. perfectly perfect for longing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. That really got me thinking. I long, too. For what I don't know. For peace, for contentment, for happiness and fulfillment. But I guess that's a part of being alive, too...definitely worth musing over.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a sweet story! I enjoyed the quotes you used. I hopped over from Alphabe-Thursday and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. I have become a follower and hope you will do the same. until later

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a lovely post...I love stones and can see many intriguing ones in that fine photograph. Good job:-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. i understand exactly what you are saying...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Longing is a great L! I love to go "treasure hunting" at the flea markets and thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh very nice, Steph! Do you remember in "Surprised by Joy" when C.S. talks about one of the few things he could remember making as a child? He and his brother created a little mini woodland with moss and plants and he was so delighted by it. I remember being in the fifth grade and making a Hopi village in the mud with my best friend. I guess it is a kind of longing... imagining...dreaming. Your post describes it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Steph this was such a lovely post and "longing" was a perfect L" word! I long for many things but I am also content to know that sometimes the longing itself is part of the pleasure and it alone can be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was a beautiful post about a beautiful word. Longing. I know that word.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful post! I enjoyed it!

    http://nprimopiano.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They help me feel that I am some how connected out here in Blogland and not just writing to the air.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails