Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oh the Possibilities...



What is it about gates that they seem to create a passageway in to magical, otherwise uncharted worlds? Is it the "breaking the rules," "No Trespassing" thrill or the heart-pounding discovery of something previously unknown and secret?  I, myself, am not a rule breaker... pretty rigid in that way. I guess the fear of getting caught weighs too heavily on my conscience. But when I think of neighborly English countryside gates and glorious rose bestrewn or boxwood hedged private gardens, I am captivated.



Even a good rugged American cattle guard stirs the imagination. What's inside?  Or what beauty and mystery does each hinge swing wide to embrace. The possibilities are endless. There is security and safety in being lovingly enclosed, and wonder and excitement in the exploration and adventure of what lies within and without.... of whatever's on the other side. There is romance in a gate where lovers tryst or one designated specifically as a place for them to kiss.

Gates can be unyielding and exclusive, not a glimpse or hint of what sterile thing may be guarded behind the walls, but these are not the kind of gates I like. I like the ones that open in to love and indefinable riches...   and freely open out to daydreaming's limitless possibilities.

Dew (Minster Lovell)  by Rupert Brun.  This image reminds me of the interior of the gated community in the film "Notting Hill."


As JRR Tolkien says,

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”


I am linking to Jenny Matlock's Alphabe-Thursday.  This week is brings you these great G posts.

17 comments:

  1. Fun photos. Love the perspective on the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the photos are excellent gates, beautiful surroundings in all, but I liked your story telling best of all! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos linked to a great narrative!

    Have a lovely weekend too,

    XOXO Lola:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your ideas and the way you express yourself Steph! Gates are intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such beautiful photos! I like wrought iron gates the best, the ones you can see straight through... {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph, fabulous photos. I am quite attracted to this type of work and always have been. An excellent "G" post, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gates--reminds me of all the gates in Charleston, SC---they do tempt one, don't they. It is funny how different personalities like breaking rules and others don't. I have kids that have both personalities ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the gates. Really like the background of the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos (esp. the first one), and I really like how you've blended your words and the photos. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love gates. Beautiful post with some great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pondering words on gates are quite fascinating to read, and the photos go well with them. Beautiful post, Step!

    Hope you and your family had a wonderful holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the photo's. There are some ornate gates out there.~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  13. some of those images are amazingly gorgeous ... and lead me to wonder what is beyond the gate ... and my favourite JRR Tolkien quote ... great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a charming post! Makes me think of The Secret Garden as well! :)

    Thanks for visiting! I am visiting from Ms. Jenny's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for Giving us this wonderful Glimpse into the world of Gates...

    Very intriguing... It really sparks the imagination...

    Great job...

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They help me feel that I am some how connected out here in Blogland and not just writing to the air.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails